Rumour Has It: Barcelona identify Milan´s Piatek as Suarez replacement

Barcelona are planning for life after Uruguay striker Luis Suarez.

The 32-year-old is highly regarded at Camp Nou, however, he has struggled for form and consistency.

Now, LaLiga champions Barca appear to be lining up a possible replacement.

 

TOP STORY – BARCA READY TO SPEND €50M ON PIATEK

Barcelona are interested in signing AC Milan striker Krzysztof Piatek as a long-term replacement for Luis Suarez, says Calciomercato.it.

Suarez celebrates his 33rd birthday in January and the Barca veteran is showing signs of decline at the LaLiga champions, where he has struggled for form and consistency.

Barcelona considering AC Milan striker Krzysztof Piatek as potential replacement for Luis Suarez

— MailOnline Sport (@Mai…

Solskjaer: Man Utd need to start 1-0 down!

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer joked he has written to the Premier League to ask them if his team can start matches 1-0 down.

United have come from behind to claim points in top-flight matches against Southampton and West Ham this season and also made a habit of launching comebacks in the 2020-21 campaign.

But they could not recover from a slow start on Wednesday as they suffered a 1-0 defeat to West Ham in the EFL Cup, with Solskjaer critical of how his team began the game.

Ahead of Saturday s key home clash against Aston Villa, the United boss knows the trend has to change.

We need to start games better of course, he said.

I ve sent a letter to the Premier League asking if we can start games 1-0 down, it ll make things so much eas…

Sancho doesn´t deserve to be in England squad given his form – Southgate

England boss Gareth Southgate admitted Jadon Sancho has been called up for international duty even though he does not deserve a place based on form.

The 21-year-old winger has struggled since his big-money move from Borussia Dortmund to Manchester United, failing to register a goal or an assist in eight appearances across all competitions.

His numbers are in stark contrast to what he produced for Dortmund last season, for whom he managed 16 goals and 18 assists in 38 games across the Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal.

Sancho was also limited to just one start and two substitute appearances as England reached the final of Euro 2020 before losing to Italy on penalties, with United s new signing also missing one of the spot-kicks after being brought on.

Erazo flattered by United interest; Kabore set to join Kuban Krasnodar

Ecuador international centre-back Frickson Erazo has admitted to being flattered by reports linking him with the likes of Manchester United and Real Madrid, .

According to reports, Erazo has been monitored by several United scouts over the past few months.

The 24-year-old Ecuador international joined Ecuadorian Serie A champions Barcelona Sporting Club from Club Deportivo El Nacional in January 2012, despite reports linking the Ecuadorian with a move to Lazio.

Although Erazo is flattered by United s interest, he is fully aware that he cannot afford to suffer a dip in form.

It s true that there was initial contact, but it will not help if my performance drops, Erazo said in the Daily Mail.

I try not to think about this. It s really …

Leverkusen reach Europa League final and stretch unbeaten run with late show

Bayer Leverkusen reached the Europa League final and stretched their remarkable unbeaten run to 49 games on Thursday, Josip Stanisic scoring seven minutes into stoppage time in a dramatic 2-2 draw with Roma.

Having won last week s first leg 2-0 in Italy, Leverkusen were strong favourites to advance to this month s final in Dublin, though two Leandro Paredes penalties left them facing up to the prospect of extra time.

Paredes halved Leverkusen s aggregate lead on the stroke of half-time after Jonathan Tah fouled Sardar Azmoun, then repeated the trick following a bizarre handball from Adam Hlozek shortly after the hour mark.

However, Roma s hearts were broken as goalkeeper Mile Svilar – who was otherwise outstanding – failed to claim a routine corner and it bou…

Monaco 1 Paris Saint-Germain 4: Di Maria, Draxler and Cavani shine to deliver Coupe de la Ligue glor

Goals from Julian Draxler, Angel Di Maria and a double from Edinson Cavani helped Paris Saint-Germain lift the Coupe de la Ligue for a record fourth year in succession as they thumped Monaco 4-1 in Saturday s final at the Parc OL.

Draxler had opened the scoring early on from what seemed like an offside position, but Thomas Lemar righted any sense of injustice on Monaco s part to level in the 27th minute.

The holders were not to be denied, though, and Di Maria restored his side s lead late in the first half, before Cavani s brace took his season s tally to 40 in as many matches and put the game to bed as PSG became the first side to lift the trophy four years running.

Monaco will have fancied their chances heading into the game following the results of …

Mourinho blasts lack of respect shown to Madrid

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has hit out at the lack of respect shown to teams in bad form amid the growing pressure on Real Madrid coach Rafael Benitez.

Benitez has come under fire following Madrid s embarrassing 4-0 defeat to Barcelona in Saturday s Clasico at the Santiago Bernabeu. 

Madrid are now six points adrift of La Liga leaders Barca but president Florentino Perez is expected to give his backing to the embattled Benitez at a media conference on Monday.

Mourinho is no stranger to the pressure of being in the hot seat at Madrid, having coached the club from 2010 to 2013 before returning to Chelsea for a second spell in charge.

But asked for his view on the Clasico in a media conference ahead of Chelsea s Champions League clash with Maccabi T…

Bologna 2-3 Milan: Mihajlovic back on hosts´ bench but Bonaventura strike proves decisive

Milan secured successive Serie A wins for only the second time this season as they won 3-2 away to Bologna, who had coach Sinisa Mihajlovic back on the bench for the first time since his bone marrow transplant last month.

Mihajlovic, who was diagnosed with leukaemia earlier in the year, received a huge ovation as he walked out pre-match, though his presence was not enough to inspire Bologna to a first league win over Milan since January 2016.

Milan s opening goal will have come as a relief to Krzysztof Piatek as the Poland international scored his first club goal for almost two months from the spot, before Theo Hernandez netted one at either end to put Bologna back in contention.

They were soon trailing by two once again in the second half thanks to Giacomo Bona…

Allegri to start planning for another season at Juventus

Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri expects to stay at the club and is already thinking ahead to next season.

The 50-year-old has been one of the main names linked with the Arsenal manager s job following the news that Arsene Wenger will be leaving the Gunners.

Allegri has always maintained he is happy at Juventus, though, and he intends to meet with the club s management as early as next week to begin planning for 2018-19.

The probability of me staying is very high, he told a news conference ahead of Saturday s Serie A clash with Hellas Verona, when champions Juve will lift the trophy.

Next week, I ll meet with the club as we start to make the team competitive again, just like every other year.

Next year will be even more difficult and we…

PSG will be ready for Champions League showdown against Barca – Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino said Paris Saint-Germain will be ready to face Barcelona in their blockbuster Champions League tie.

PSG will travel to Lionel Messi s Barca for Tuesday s last-16 first leg at Camp Nou after edging Nice 2-1 in Ligue 1 on Saturday.

Goals from Julian Draxler and Moise Kean guided PSG past Nice in the French capital, where the Ligue 1 champions extended their winning streak to four matches across all competitions.

Post-match, head coach Pochettino highlighted the importance of the upcoming showdown against Barcelona but believes PSG will be ready for it.

A tough, hard-fought victory! 

 

— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English)

We have to be ready [for Barcelona], Pochettino told reporters. Because we have a very …